Influencer Marketing à la Fitness

Last week I discussed how many fitness gurus are branding themselves and how they are using social media to market their own products and services. What I didn’t discuss, is how other companies are utilizing these influencers to gain visibility for their brands through influencer marketing, and through Instagram in particular. Influencer marketing focuses on using leaders to drive a brand’s message to a larger audience. It has proven to be successful because social media influencers are viewed as reliable and trustworthy. We as consumers trust influencer recommendations almost as much as we trust those from our own friends (49% to 56%).

If you aren’t convinced, let’s talk numbers. Advertisers spent more than $560 million on Instagram alone last year. They know it is an important space to be present in, but who should they task with getting their message out? When breaking up Instagram influencers into tiers based on their number of followers, tier 2 (with a median following of 2.8 million followers) and tier 3 (with a median following of 853k followers) were determined to be the sweet spots. On these two levels, advertisers will get the most bang for their buck. Between these two tiers, they have the highest engagement rate for branded content and the lowest organic cost per thousand (CPM) impressions respectively.


The fitness community is no stranger to influencer marketing. Whether it’s a fitness apparel brand, a supplement brand, a health food brand, or whatever you can think of, many of them are looking to Instagram to find fitness stars to market their products. While they don’t exclusively stick to tier 2 and 3 influencers, there is no shortage of advertising going on in the fitness community.

After all, if one of these individuals who you look to for body motivation is seen utilizing a certain supplement to achieve optimal results, wouldn’t you be more willing to purchase the same product? If my favorite influencer is rocking it out in super cute gym wear, I’ll look as cool as them if I buy the same thing, right? It sounds silly, but I swear it’s my thought process every time, despite my modest college budget. Oops. Treat yo’ self - That’s the motto that influencer marketing inspires to me.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m relatively sure I’m not alone in looking to my favorite social media profiles, like the ones I discussed last week, for inspiration on or just plain exposure to the best, new products. Whether it’s fitness, fashion, makeup, video games, you name it, influencer marketing is a strong tool to add into your marketing mix.

Sources



Comments

Popular Posts